The Servant Leadership Dynamic between Branch Rickey & Jackie Roosevelt Robinson: How They Changed Baseball and Our Country
The term “Servant Leadership” was coined by Robert Greenleaf in 1970. In his essay, The Servant as Leader, Greenleaf stressed that if one wants to be a leader, one must be a servant first. He felt that leadership starts with the desire to serve others. One then makes a conscious choice that takes one on a journey to leadership. Jackie Robinson and Branch Rickey and their desire to break the color line in Major League baseball is an example of Servant Leadership.
Merle A. Branner: archivist and educator, MLIS, Dominican University in Library and Information Science, MS, Pepperdine University in Educational Computing, BFA, Art Center College of Design in Photography. She’s an Archivist at the Ruthie & Bill Katz Archives at North Shore Congregation Israel and Technology Coordinator/Curriculum Developer at Queen of Angels School, Chicago.She presented her paper, at the Cooperstown Symposium, Cooperstown, NY at National Baseball Hall of Fame, 2010.
*Note: The information above is a draft provided by the presenter and may be different in the HalloweeM Program Booklet.
Saturday, October 30th at 9 AM US/CDT
- Registration - Join the fun at WeeM. Register at the door if you haven’t preregistered. The deadline for online registration was October 15th.
- Excursion - The sign-up deadline for the Excursions was Monday, October 18th.
- Vendor space - The deadline to submit the contract was October 20th.
- Lodging - The deadline set by the hotel for the WeeM rate was October 14th.
- Volunteer Now! Get involved and become a star. We have a great WeeM every year due to the many of you who sign up to help out for a few hours or more. Double your chance of winning the $50 Amazon Gift Card and other cash prizes by signing up before Wednesday, October 27th.
- Room and/or Ride Sharing - Let us help match you up with another attendee who is also interested in sharing a room or ride by submitting your information by Sunday, October 24th.
- Speaker/Tournament Submissions - The deadline to submit your proposal for a program or tournament for WeeM was Wednesday, September 15th.