The Wonderful World of Pun Competitions – A Modest Travelogue
Like many Mensans, you probably love a good pun, but did you know that punning is actually a competitive sport played around the world? Mensan Gregg Siegel didn’t either, but once he learned about it he jumped in with both feet. Join him to see and hear some of his live and virtual performances—some successful, some, well, not so much—at competitions such as the DC Improv’s Pun DMV, the UK PunOff, Capitol PUNishment, Seattle PunIntended, the PunIntensive and Punnit podcasts, the hip and popular monthly Punderdome in NYC (where he proudly became a “Domer” under the punonym “Punning Amok”), and, of course, the legendary O. Henry PunOff, an annual event in its 44th year. O. Henry also hosts a written pun competition, and Gregg will present several of his pun puzzles for the audience to solve. Learn about pun books, games and other fun resources too. Yes, there is a world where puns are considered an art form, and inspire respect, not derision. Join us there.
Gregg Siegel has participated in more than 20 pun competitions and shows over the past 18 months. He is a freelance copywriter and a former freelance jokewriter for several late night shows, comedians, radio programs and magazines.
*Note: The information above is a draft provided by the presenter and may be different in the HalloweeM Program Booklet.
Friday, October 29th at 2:30 PM US/CDT
- Registration - Join the fun at WeeM. Register at the door if you haven’t preregistered. The deadline for online registration was October 15th.
- Excursion - The sign-up deadline for the Excursions was Monday, October 18th.
- Vendor space - The deadline to submit the contract was October 20th.
- Lodging - The deadline set by the hotel for the WeeM rate was October 14th.
- Volunteer Now! Get involved and become a star. We have a great WeeM every year due to the many of you who sign up to help out for a few hours or more. Double your chance of winning the $50 Amazon Gift Card and other cash prizes by signing up before Wednesday, October 27th.
- Room and/or Ride Sharing - Let us help match you up with another attendee who is also interested in sharing a room or ride by submitting your information by Sunday, October 24th.
- Speaker/Tournament Submissions - The deadline to submit your proposal for a program or tournament for WeeM was Wednesday, September 15th.