Destination: Heartland History
The history of the Midwest is remarkable and surprising. Fortunately, people realized early on that it was worth preserving. Cynthia Clampitt will take us on a tour of destinations and events that reveal how a region famed for supplying food actually supplied so much more, including iconic images, legendary individuals, and inventions that would change the world. From prehistory to present, hear the tales and “visit” the museums, living-history venues, archaeological sites, historic towns, vintage farms, reenactments, and even restaurants that make the Midwest’s past accessible—and fun.
Cynthia Clampitt is a writer, food historian, and author. She has pursued her love of culture, history, and food in thirty-seven countries on six continents, including southern India. Currently, however, she is focusing on the American Midwest and has a new book coming out in March on the region’s remarkable history. Clampitt is a member of the Society of Women Geographers, Culinary Historians of Chicago, and the history section of the International Association of Culinary Professionals.
*Note: The information above is a draft provided by the presenter and may be different in the HalloweeM Program Booklet.
Sunday, October 31st at 12:30 PM US/CDT
- Registration - Join the fun at WeeM. Register at the door if you haven’t preregistered. The deadline for online registration was October 15th.
- Excursion - The sign-up deadline for the Excursions was Monday, October 18th.
- Vendor space - The deadline to submit the contract was October 20th.
- Lodging - The deadline set by the hotel for the WeeM rate was October 14th.
- Volunteer Now! Get involved and become a star. We have a great WeeM every year due to the many of you who sign up to help out for a few hours or more. Double your chance of winning the $50 Amazon Gift Card and other cash prizes by signing up before Wednesday, October 27th.
- Room and/or Ride Sharing - Let us help match you up with another attendee who is also interested in sharing a room or ride by submitting your information by Sunday, October 24th.
- Speaker/Tournament Submissions - The deadline to submit your proposal for a program or tournament for WeeM was Wednesday, September 15th.