For most of recorded history, people searched for routes to southern India. Why? The world’s most popular spices come from a small area at the tip of the subcontinent. The pursuit of these spices has had a tremendous impact on world events. However, today, tourists largely ignore this region, which is a pity. Southern India is a remarkable destination that is rich in history, beauty, gracious people, and wonderful food. Come learn a bit more about the spice trade, the place of southern India in world events, and the delights to be enjoyed by a traveler today.
Cynthia Clampitt is a writer, food historian, and author. She has pursued her love of culture, history, and food in thirty-seven countries on six continents, including southern India. Currently, however, she is focusing on the American Midwest and has a new book coming out in March on the region’s remarkable history. Clampitt is a member of the Society of Women Geographers, Culinary Historians of Chicago, and the history section of the International Association of Culinary Professionals.
*Note: The information above is a draft provided by the presenter and may be different in the HalloweeM Program Booklet.
Thursday, October 28th at 6 PM US/CDT
- Registration - Join the fun at WeeM. Register at the door if you haven’t preregistered. The deadline for online registration was October 15th.
- Excursion - The sign-up deadline for the Excursions was Monday, October 18th.
- Vendor space - The deadline to submit the contract was October 20th.
- Lodging - The deadline set by the hotel for the WeeM rate was October 14th.
- Volunteer Now! Get involved and become a star. We have a great WeeM every year due to the many of you who sign up to help out for a few hours or more. Double your chance of winning the $50 Amazon Gift Card and other cash prizes by signing up before Wednesday, October 27th.
- Room and/or Ride Sharing - Let us help match you up with another attendee who is also interested in sharing a room or ride by submitting your information by Sunday, October 24th.
- Speaker/Tournament Submissions - The deadline to submit your proposal for a program or tournament for WeeM was Wednesday, September 15th.