Gifted Children's Resource Guide
Organizations for Parents of Gifted Children
National Association of Gifted Children (NAGC)
1331 H Street NW, Suite 1001
Washington, DC 20005
The organisation combines the input of parents, educational figures and other professionals involved in the teaching profession, in order to discuss and address the needs of talented children. When you become a member of NAGC, your subscription includes receiving a regular magazine they produce called Parenting for High Potential, which contains articles that you are sure to find of interest as they are centered on how to develop talented students and the issues they might face
Illinois Association for Gifted Children (IAGC)
Affiliate of National Association for Gifted Children
1500 Sullivan Rd
Aurora, IL 60506
Patricia Steinmeyer, Director firstname.lastname@example.org
The Illinois Association for Gifted Children (IAGC) empowers educators, families and communities by advancing effective practices, programs and policies to promote the development of gifted and talented children throughout Illinois.
It is the vision of the Illinois Association for Gifted Children that the diverse expression of gifts and talents of all individuals are valued by society. Responsibility for nurturing, encouraging, and supporting the full development of potential in gifted children is accepted and shared by their families, educators, and communities. Individuals value themselves and their accomplishments. Their contributions are celebrated by society.
IAGC Community Parent Groups
Many towns in the Chicago area have active Parent Groups. This is a list of Illinois Gifted Parent Affiliates and Organizations. Click/Tap on their websites or call your local school about how to contact these groups.
- Aurora, Naperville, Bolingbrook Indian Prairie Dist. 204 Project Arrow Parent Org. (PAPO) for the Gifted Program—http://ipsdweb.ipsd.org/IPPC/Default.aspx/ProjectArrowPTA
- Barrington Council for the Gifted and Talented—https://www.bcgt220.org/
- Chicago Skinner School (Skinner Forum PTO)—https://www.skinnerwest.cps.edu/pto-fr.html
- Crystal Lake Friends of Gifted Education (CLFOGE)—http://clfoge.org/
- Des Plaines, Mt. Prospect—Family & School Association (FSA) of Science & Arts Academy
- Downers Grove FRoG: Friends of the Gifted and Talented—https://www.facebook.com/FRoG-287802962763/
- Moline Council for the Gifted — https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Education/Moline-Council-for-the-Gifted-MCG-1410129779203805/
- Naperville District 203 STAGE (Supporters of Talented and Gifted Education) — http://stage203.org/
- Orland Park Excel 135
- Oswego Parents And Community for Excellence (PACE) parent support group for Academically Talented programs in District 308—http://www.ptag308.org/about-ptag-308.html
- Palos Heights Quest Connections
- Rochester Academic Booster Club
- Rockford Parents for Gifted Education (PGE)—https://pge205.com/
- Warrenville/Wheaton Gifted and Talented Education Supporters (GATES 200)
- Wilmette PAGE 39—Parent Advocates for Gifted Education in District 39
Other Community Parent Groups
- Algonquin, Huntley, Lake in the Hills, Lakewood, Union Consolidated District 158—http://www.district158.org/curriculum/gifted/
- Batavia CANDO—http://bataviacando.weebly.com/
- Chicago Keller Regional Gifted Center—https://keller.cps.edu/
- Chicago—Lenart Regional Gifted Center
- Chicago—Whitney Young High School
- Chicago—Chicago Gifted Community Center
- Downers Grove—https://www.averycoonley.org/
- DuPage County—https://www.dupageroe.org/professional-development/gifted
- Elgin—Elgin High School Gifted and Talented, Da Vinci Academy and Summit Academy
- Glen Ellyn—https://www.d41.org/domain/527
- Naperville—District 203 STAGE (Supporters of Talented and Gifted Education) and Programs and Services for Academically Talented Students
- Palatine Quest Academy—https://www.questacademy.org/
- Peoria—Quest Charter Academy
Member of Illinois Association for Gifted Children, and an affiliate of National Association for Gifted Children. Their purpose is to support and promote gifted education in District 205, involving parents, faculty members and administrators.
- To advocate for continuation and expansion of the District 205 Academic and CAPA (Creative and Performing Arts) Gifted Education Program
- To provide an opportunity for networking with parents who have children in the Program.
What Does P.G.E. Do?
- Develop and maintain PGE Facebook, eNewsletter, new website, and PGE & PTO monthly meetings.
- Create online directory
- Work for restoration of state funding for gifted education
- Hold events featuring speakers including, our Superintendent, our administrators and other guest speakers.
- Keep parents informed on gifted issues and opportunities locally, regionally and nationally
- Increase awareness and rally parents for issues and concerns regarding gifted and CAPA issues
P.G.E supports the centralized academic and creative and performing arts gifted program that serves students at four campuses: Marshall Elementary, Marshall Middle, West, and Auburn High schools.
Illinois Gifted Education Policies (Genius Denied) —https://www.davidsongifted.org/about-us/genius-denied
For a public-access Illinois Gifted and Talented Resource Guide, go to http://www.k12tlc.net/ilgt.htm
Open Education Database (OEDb) — Essential Links for the Parents of Gifted Children
A parent based support group for parents of gifted children in the Chicago area: https://www.meetup.com/chicago-gifted-children/
The Mensa Foundation’s Mensa for Kids Web team’s award-winning site: American Mensa Gifted Youth
Discover E is a website promoting engineering: Discover Engineering
School Comparison Tool: Public School Review
This is a work in progress. If you have any corrections, additions, suggestions, or ideas related to the gifted, please let the CAM WebDesign Team & Gifted Youth Coördinator know about them.